Tickets can be expensive. It’s not just the initial fine, either. Tickets can impact car insurance rates, which means that you’ll keep paying for that one mistake. If you’ve gotten a ticket, you’re probably wondering how much it will raise your rates — and whether there’s anything you can do about it.
When Do Rates Go Up?
If you’ve gotten a ticket, your rates probably won’t change immediately. Don’t let this lull you into thinking you’re off the hook, though. When it comes time to renew your auto insurance, you might get hit with an increase.
Whether or not this happens depends on a few things.
- Was the ticket written by an actual human being, or did it come from an automated system? In many states, tickets from red light cameras don’t result in points on your record and don’t impact your insurance rates.
- Was it your first and only ticket in years? Your insurance company might overlook a ticket if it’s the only one.
- Was it a minor offense? The more dangerous the offense is, the more serious the consequences will be.
- Did the insurer check your record? Sometimes, this doesn’t happen.
How Much Will Your Rates Go Up?
Car insurance rates depend on a number of different factors, so we have to look at averages, not absolutes. If your car insurance rates go up after a ticket, the amount of the increase will depend on the severity of the violation and the company’s policies. Other factors, like where you live, may also play a role.
According to HighYa, a single minor violation might result in premium increase of 28 percent, while two minor violations could bring you to a 43 percent increase. A single major violation, such as reckless driving, could result in an increase of 76 percent.
If you’re paying $1,500 a year, this means a minor violation like a speeding ticket could cause your rates to go up by $420, while a major violation could cost you an extra $1,140 a year.
How Can You Keep Rates Down?
The best way to avoid rate increases is to avoid tickets in the first place.
- Don’t speed. Assuming road conditions are good, try to maintain the speed limit.
- Don’t run red lights. Always come to a complete stop for stop signs.
- Don’t drive distracted. Using a handheld device while driving is now illegal in many states, and being distracted may make you more likely to make other driving mistakes.
- Avoid aggressive behaviors, like weaving in and out of traffic and driving too close.
If you’ve already gotten a ticket, there are a few things you can do to keep your costs down.
- Consider fighting the ticket.
- Take a driving course.
- Compare auto rates. Policies vary from company to company. One insurer might not increase your rates as much as another.
- Demonstrate your safe driving with an app like the Jupiter Auto App.
- Avoid tickets in the future. In a few years, points on your driving record will expire. If you get more tickets during this time, the problem will keep getting worse. If you don’t get any new tickets, the problem will eventually go away.
Jupiter Auto loves all drivers – even those with some mistakes on their record. Contact us for a quote today.
Jupiter Auto Provides THE BEST Cheap Auto Insurance in Arkansas.
When shopping for auto insurance, finding cheap auto insurance is as easy as getting an online quote from Jupiter Auto in the Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Tennessee area. We have been serving the auto insurance community for years and are here to help you find the best auto insurance rates when compared to other auto insurance companies.
You Never Overpay at Jupiter Auto
We know that you want the best auto insurance for the lowest price, and in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Tennessee. Jupiter Auto is there to help make sure that you are not overpaying for your auto insurance.
At other auto insurance companies, auto insurance rates can be well above market value. At Jupiter Auto, we work to provide the best cheapest auto insurance. We make sure you have auto insurance that meets your needs without breaking the bank. You can choose from basic, state required coverage or a comprehensive auto insurance package.
At Jupiter Auto, we believe it is important to offer cheap auto insurance that is also high quality. Go to our website at JupiterAuto.com for an online auto insurance quote, and never overpay for auto insurance again!
Jupiter Auto Covers All of Your Insurance Needs
At Jupiter Auto, we understand that each driver’s needs and risks are unique. How many people drive the family car, how many cars are insured, and what type of coverage you may need can all vary from customer to customer. That’s why you need an auto insurance policy that is carefully tailored to meet your needs.
There are millions of drivers on the road each day, increasing the likely risk of an accident – Jupiter Auto provides robust coverage at the best rates to help protect drivers when they are out on the road.
See if you qualify for auto insurance discounts such as the:
- Multi-car discount
- Safe Driver discount
- Multi-driver discount
- Pay your Policy in Full Discount
- Automatic Payment Discount
We Provide Instant Online Quotes and Make It Easy to Get Great Coverage!
Sifting through auto insurance rates can be an arduous task, even for the most patient of people. Fortunately, Jupiter Auto is here to lift that weight off of your shoulders and help guide you through the process. We provide free auto insurance quotes in minutes, so you know that you are getting the best deal for your budget. With Jupiter Auto by your side, you’ll have an affordable insurance safety net for you and your family when you get into your car every day!
We have affordable auto Insurance in the entire state of Arkansas, but we specialize in serving:
If you are looking for:
You have come to the right place.