Summer is a great time to hit the road. Before you get carried away, though, take a moment to prepare for the best summer road trip ever with the right tools and apps.
First, let’s start with an important reminder: Don’t let distracted driving ruin your road trip. Always put a passenger in charge of maps, apps and other distractions.
Planning Your Trip
Spontaneity can be a good thing – but it can also go horribly awry. These items can help ensure your road trip stays on track.
- Roadside America. It’s easy to miss roadside attractions when you’re speeding down the highway. The Roadside America app will help you find them.
- After a few hours in the car, you’ll be eager to stretch your legs. The AllTrails app will help you find the best hiking trails and camping sites in the area.
- A hotel app. You’ll need a place to spend the night. There are several hotel apps to choose from, including Trivago, Hotels.com and Expedia. You can also try Airbnb is you’d prefer something different.
- Google Maps. Pick the best route while avoiding traffic. If you don’t like Google, try MapQuest.
- A physical map. Yes, these still exist. And if you find yourself lost and with no battery life left, you’ll be glad you have one.
The time on the road is supposed to be half the fun. Make sure it doesn’t get boring by bringing the following:
- You won’t get your favorite local radio station where you’re going. Bring a stack of CDs, an MP3 player or your favorite music app.
- If you’re tired of music, why not try listening to a book? You can get an audiobook on CD, or you can use a service like Audible.
- Car charger. Don’t forget to equip your car with chargers for your devices.
- License Plate Game App. Did you love the license plate game as a kid? Now you can play with the app.
If you ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, how long could you comfortably survive? That’s the question that inspired this list. It includes an app to help ensure you don’t run out of gas and reminders about some basic essentials to take with you.
- Your trip is going to require a lot of fuel. The GasBuddy app will help you find the best prices.
- Food and water. Sure, you’ll want to stop at mom and pop restaurants and stores along the way, but it’s a good idea to have a few snacks, beverages and extra water in the car, in case you find yourself hungry and thirsty and in the middle of nowhere. If you’re traveling with pets, bring extra food and a water bowl for them too!
- Emergency supplies. It’s a good idea to have basic supplies (a first aid kit, a flashlight, road flares, a spare tire, tire jack, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, batteries, rags, a blanket, some cash and so on) in your car at all times, but it’s especially important when you’re heading out on a long road trip.
- Emergency contact list. If your cell phone died, would you know important phone numbers? In the digital age, many of us have stopped memorizing phone numbers. Put a note in your wallet with key contact info – just in case!
If you get into an accident, or need to access your auto insurance ID card, you’ll be happy that you have the Jupiter Auto app easily accessible on your phone. The app also provides traffic alerts and can connect you to roadside assistance. You can also use the app to improve your safe driving skills as you cruise the open road! Below are some of the ways your auto insurance app can help your road trip go smoothly:
- Get instant access to your policy.
- Access your ID cards.
- File a claim.
- See traffic alerts.
- Get roadside assistance.
- Improve your driving with stats on hard braking, speeding and more.
- Talk to an agent with quick call functionality.